So here it is, my first block for the 2016 BoM by Cotton & Color, “My World”. The BoM includes the pattern and the background fabric for each month’s block. I do not have a fabric stash (or at least, as much fabric as to name my pile a stash and to have a wide variety to choose from), so I am using a bundle the shop put together for last year BOM. The solids used in this block are Quilter’s Linen, by Robert Kaufman Fabrics, in green and brown. Just as a reminder, this block is not yet trimmed to its final size.
For January’s block the pattern called for templates or paper foundation; I decided for the latest but changing paper by interfacing. I have used interfacing for foundation-sewing before, and I think it provides great results. I also find it doesn’t damage the needle as much as paper would do, and it doesn’t need to be removed after sewing. Moreover, it helps to stabilise the embroidery (I took the photo of the back before sewing the cactus’ spines).
For those who might follow this BoM, you might notice I’ve changed the cactus’ spines from the ones depicted in the pattern. I didn’t want to make an aggressive cactus, showing off a lot of spines. Instead, it’s a shy cactus with short sharp points, just in case of self-defense if one dares to mess up with it. Otherwise, it’s a really friendly plant (and doesn’t require lots of watering, which is just fine!)