EPP Party #1: Hexie’s Madness

As if I hadn’t enough projects running right now, there’s always something new popping on my social media feed that catches my attention. I’ve been able to resist to join several QAL since the year started, and when I saw that Mister Domestic and Pat Bravo were launching an English paper piecing QAL, my first thought was “I need to progress on my Stars-quilt”. Then I found myself wondering which of the fabric bundles I already had could be used on such a project.

And the rest is history.

So here is my version for the first block, “Hexie’s madness”. 68 1″ hexies on this one. I tried glue basting, and I changed the cardboard I’m using on the Stars-quilt’s templates for paper. I think that, for this smaller size, paper works better, specially taking into account the amount of folding needed to put the hexies together. However, I’m not seeing myself trying to baste with thread using paper as a base, and so far I’m pretty happy on how the glue is working.

For this QAL I’m using a fat-quarter bundle of “Succulents”, by Heather Givans for Windham Fabrics. I had this bundle sitting on a drawer for more than a year, and it seems that it was meant for this project. As solids I’m using Grunge, by Basic Grey, for Moda. This collection is becoming my favourite to use as a solid print, although they really aren’t. That’s what I just love about them!

So in the following 21 weeks I’m going to grow a garden of succulents. It looks like this year I’m going to do lots of hand stitching!

(The party is on Instagram under the hashtag #EPPparty).

Star Sampler Quilt (11): “Square & Star”

The Star-Sampler quilt-along (organised and hosted by Amanda Rolfe at 3and3quarters) is coming to an end, as it has only one block left. Before that happens, the 11th block was a quick one, and it seems that pressing all seams open is paying off, although sometimes I miss those nesting seams when pinning everything in place.

Looking forward to the last one, with no release date scheduled yet, which is perfectly fine now that I have all the sashing fabric to start working on The Splendid Sampler™ again.

Adorable Ewe KAL

The past weeks I was busy knitting a baby sweater. I didn’t plan to do so, but I was told about Michelle Hunter’s KAL and, well, I couldn’t resist. Also, I thought it would be a great training before attempting my own sweater, and that it would be a terrific gift for a friend who is expecting a baby.

And I did have lots of fun knitting this one, as well as learning lots of things along the way too. Lots of “first time doing this…” on this piece! The focal point of the garment is the back, which gives the name to the pattern, and among others, includes working intarsia and knitting bobbles. I think it will be some time until I knit bobbles again, though.

On the front I used buttons I already had, instead of going for the sheep-shaped buttons the pattern calls for. I really like these wooden buttons, and the natural look they give to the finish piece. For the yarn itself, I had trouble finding one that would meet the pattern requirements (reminder: don’t try to buy winter yarn in the middle of Spring), and although I wasn’t at all convinced with that yellow, it has grown on me and now I think it’s pretty appropriate for a gender-neutral garment, isn’t it?

With the leftover yarn from this project I made a baby hat. I still need to block it so I can give it its proper post.

Project: Adorable Ewe – baby sweater-
Date: April 2017
Pattern: Adorable Ewe, Michelle Hunter
Yarn: Lana Grossa Bingo, colour 23, 33, 67
Needles: 5.50 mm, 6 mm

Button Jars quilt

Ta-dah! This little one is finished! I started this quilt a year ago, as a part of a course with Me and My Sister Designs. Despite my good intentions towards it, it didn’t see much progress for months, until I moved the project’s box next to my sewing machine and used it as a leader-and-ender. It looks like it was all I needed to get it done! The pattern is pretty straightforward, and with all the pieces already cut, it can be pieced in no time.

After some thought, I decided to keep the quilting simple and just stitch in the ditch around each jar, the shelves and the border. I didn’t press all the seams open, and you can tell the difference between these and the seams pressed to one side when you’re trying to quilt in the ditch (the first ones are easier!). This quilt surely would have benefited from a denser quilting motif, but neither my FMQ skills nor my machine would have allowed for it with a satisfactory result.

Trying to keep consistent with the fabric line, I chose for the border a pink print from Cotton+Steel, and I stepped outside my comfort zone with the binding. But it just seemed the right colour when I audited it, and now I think it was the perfect choice.

I’m using this quilt as a wall hanging for my sewing area. I sewed two small pockets on the back to hold a thin curtain bar, but after hanging it, I think a sleeve would have been better… just to keep in mind for the next one.

Project: Button Jars (Wall hanging quilt)
Size: 81 x 71 cm / 32 x 28″
Date: April 2016 – April 2017
Pattern: Button Jars, Me and My Sister Designs
Top fabric: Dot. Dot. Dash-, by Me and My Sister Designs (selected prints), for Moda Fabrics
White: Bella Solids White Bleached, Moda Fabrics
Taupe: Bella Solids Stone light grey, Moda Fabrics
Grey: Bella Solids Silver grey, Moda Fabrics
Border: Netorious Melody Pink, by Alexia Abbeg, Cotton+Steel
Batting: Quilter’s Dream Cotton 100%
Quilting: machine-quilted, Isacord Thread 40, col. 0010
Binding: 1000 Colors Collection
Purple (713), Lecien
Label: Bomull, Ikea