Stars-quilt July’17 update

This month was mostly about knitting, finishing things and trying to keep up-to-date with the EppParty. However, having a set goal helped in keeping this project on track and six new completed stars were added to the pile.

Stars basted: 84/84 (504/504 templates)
Stars sewn: 84 /84
Background pieces basted: 504/504
Stars completed: 57/84 (+6 from the last stats)

Advertisements

EPP Party #6: Honeycomb candy (in progress)

This is the current state of block n.6 for the EPP Party. It lacks the border, but this requires lots of tiny pieces that will consume lots of fabric. As I haven’t decided on a fabric for them, and I’m using an old collection which I’m afraid would be out-of-print, I will wait to the end of the sew-along to finish it, so I don’t compromise future fabric choices on the up-coming blocks.

On this one I went back to use thick paper instead of light card stock. With so many pieces and folding involved, it is more comfortable to work with the paper.

(The party is hosted by Mister Domestic and Pat Bravo and runs on Instagram under the hashtag #EPPparty).

EPP Party #5: Radiant Star

A little bit late, but here is block n. 5 for the EPP Party! Although these big pieces aren’t difficult to stitch together, I struggled with the fabric selection – again-. I’m trying to make a coherent quilt following a theme, and for the moment I’ve decided that I’m going to highlight the bigger prints on the blocks with bigger pieces in them, but keeping in mind that the overall quilt is picturing a succulents garden.

Total block pieces: 20

(The party is hosted by Mister Domestic and Pat Bravo and runs on Instagram under the hashtag #EPPparty).

Stars-quilt June’17 update

A trip on early June helped me not only to achieve the monthly six-stars goal, but to add some more to the count. So far so good! I really might be able to have all the stars finished by the end of the year…

Stars basted: 84/84 (504/504 templates)
Stars sewn: 84 /84
Background pieces basted: 504/504
Stars completed: 51/84 (+9 from the last stats)

Pack your bag n.5 (May): Weekender bag

May’s pattern for the Cotton & Color Project of the Month program was a really complex one, with lots of pieces (zippers included) and a terrific result: a huge handbag with different sets of interior and exterior pockets (and even a strap to hang it in the retractable handles of a small suitcase), really useful for going a weekend out or, in my case, for carrying the knitting projects around.

With so many components, it took me a long week to finish it. While putting the back together, I noticed that with some care I could patternmatch the back strap with the underneath fabric, so there isn’t a break on the overall image. It took some patience, but it was absolutely worth it! (and yes, I just love that print from Cotton+Steel!!).

Project: Handbag
Size:
13 3/4″ x 15 3/4″ x 4 3/4″ / 35 x 40 x 12 cm (aprox.)
Date:
June 2017
Pattern: Weekender, Cotton & Color
Exterior fabric:
Les Fleurs (canvas), by Rifle Paper Co., Cotton+Steel
Lining fabric:
Grunge (Vert), by Basic Grey, Moda Fabrics
Batting:
Flex Foam Stabilizer (Freundenberg), Thermolam TP971