EPP Party #13: Morning star

Finally, the last block for the EppParty. I can’t barely believe this one is finished, after taking me so long to sew it together!

This extra block is huge, 24″x24″, and required lots of hours of work. I was afraid I would run out of some of the prints, so I constructed it row by row, reassessing my initial colour plan with the fabric left. From some of the initial fat quarters what is now left is a tiny scrap of fabric, that wouldn’t make it for one of those triangles!

I tried to tie together all the previous blocks as much as I was able to with the fabric I had, following the theme “A succulents’ garden”, as well as my previous colour combinations. I know I could have gone totally scrappy with this one, but I really liked the idea of a central star-shaped block acting as the focal point for the whole quilt, and giving some coherence to the scrappy blocks around. This process also led to reconsider the finishing of block 6, and some changes to block 7, which are also now finished and waiting for a final good press.

Total block pieces: 132

(The party was hosted by Mister Domestic and Pat Bravo and run on Instagram under the hashtag #EPPparty).

Advertisements

EPP Party #12: Chicago star

The blog has been quite quiet these past days. At the moment I’m working on long-term projects with no results worth sharing. And life happens and I don’t have so much time to sew as to maintain a regular posting schedule. However, I’ve joined a really fun challenge on Instagram, #30minssewingdaily hosted by Melanie Meyer, that encourages the participants to sew at least 30 minutes per day. Not much, some may think, but it’s great helping to get things done.

And in this context I sewed the 12th block for the EppParty. Not the last block, as it was an announced surprise that there would be a bonus 13th block… which is 24 x 24″!!!

As I wasn’t sure about the fabric, I just built the block each section at a time, taking into account the past blocks and how much each fabric had been used so far. For instance, the central square succulents were only featured on the first block so far!

Total block pieces: 49

(The party is hosted by Mister Domestic and Pat Bravo and runs on Instagram under the hashtag #EPPparty).

EPP Party #10: Geese Encounter

Well, another block with difficult fabric choices! The combination of the light pink print with the green central triangles on two of the flying geese units doesn’t quite work (although in the beginning it looked just right –sigh-). I will assess it again at the end of the QAL and re-do it, if needed, according to the overall look of the quilt.

Total block pieces: 61

(The party is hosted by Mister Domestic and Pat Bravo and runs on Instagram under the hashtag #EPPparty).

EPP Party #9: Sugar wheel

Another block with a fabric combination that doesn’t fit in my normal scheme. In this one I was trying, more than to picture something specific, to bring the different fabric and colour combinations already used in different blocks together in one piece, to give cohesion to the overall quilt.

I also shifted the position of some of the pieces. At the end, I do quite like the final result.

Total block pieces: 58

(The party is hosted by Mister Domestic and Pat Bravo and runs on Instagram under the hashtag #EPPparty).

EPP Party #8: Anana

A pineapple block English-paper-pieced? Yes! Although I think that if I need to sew some of these again I will turn to traditional piecing, it was interesting to play with it. The biggest issue were the long seams – they were endless to sew!-.

At first I wasn’t sure how to tackle the fabrics for this one, but then the “pineapple” shapes reminded me of the pillow I did some months ago, and it was clear how this block needed to look like.

So four new succulents for my particular garden!

(Btw, I’m in love with the colour scheme of this one. I may keep it in mind for future inspiration…)

Total block pieces: 37

(The party is hosted by Mister Domestic and Pat Bravo and runs on Instagram under the hashtag #EPPparty).

EPP Party #6: Honeycomb candy (in progress)

This is the current state of block n.6 for the EPP Party. It lacks the border, but this requires lots of tiny pieces that will consume lots of fabric. As I haven’t decided on a fabric for them, and I’m using an old collection which I’m afraid would be out-of-print, I will wait to the end of the sew-along to finish it, so I don’t compromise future fabric choices on the up-coming blocks.

On this one I went back to use thick paper instead of light card stock. With so many pieces and folding involved, it is more comfortable to work with the paper.

(The party is hosted by Mister Domestic and Pat Bravo and runs on Instagram under the hashtag #EPPparty).

EPP Party #5: Radiant Star

A little bit late, but here is block n. 5 for the EPP Party! Although these big pieces aren’t difficult to stitch together, I struggled with the fabric selection – again-. I’m trying to make a coherent quilt following a theme, and for the moment I’ve decided that I’m going to highlight the bigger prints on the blocks with bigger pieces in them, but keeping in mind that the overall quilt is picturing a succulents garden.

Total block pieces: 20

(The party is hosted by Mister Domestic and Pat Bravo and runs on Instagram under the hashtag #EPPparty).

EPP Party #4: Plus and plus

Well, another block that was more difficult than expected. This one required lots of cutting -not only fabric, but the templates as well-, and it was a trial and error process searching for fabric combinations, placement and correct size of the templates to achieve a 12″sq block.

Total block pieces: 45

(The party is hosted by Mister Domestic and Pat Bravo and runs on Instagram under the hashtag #EPPparty).